11 Mar 2013

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

I am seriously obsessed with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I don't know how many times I read the book since the first time I found it in the school library. Although, at that time I admit that time, I might not understand few words or thing, come on it is on old English language and it is so flowery but I loved Elizabeth's fierceness and independent as well as Mr. Darcy's true intention. The setting was in 19th Century in England and for some reason, I always imagine lady with big gown skirt in it.

I didn't manage to see the one with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in BBC's Pride and Prejudice in 1995 version, but I do watch the one with Keira Knightley and Matthew Mcfadyen and the film is awesome. I keep watching it every time it was repeated in DIVA channel. Matthew McFadyen as Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy is so dreamy and literally melt my heart. For some reason, Keira Knightley doesn't look so pretty in the movie. The movie was shot in Peak District which supposed to be visited this May but can't do it because it is quite far. The Pemberley would be Chatsworth House (http://www.chatsworth.org/)  which is so magnificent, and I hope I can visit it someday.

So, came out The Lizzie Bennet Diaries a drama web series adapted Pride and Prejudice, and the story was conveyed in form of vlogs. It premier in Youtube in April and I only found about it end of the last year. The series is told in vlog-style by Lizzie Bennet and given modern twist as she narrates the trials and tribulations of her family life. As in Pride and Prejudice, Lizzie's mother is all too eager to marry her and her sisters off to rich men. When wealthy medical student Bing Lee moves into the neighborhood and woos the eldest Bennet daughter, Jane, it changes the entire dynamic of the family. It isn't long before Bing's even more wealthy friend and heir to an entertainment corporation, the mysterious Darcy, makes his way into the Bennets' lives as well.

So in this series, Lizzie Bennet is a  a graduate student studying mass communications and, like her original counterpart, strongly believes women should be highly educated and do more with their lives than simply pursue husbands. She is very close with her best friend, Charlotte Lu, as well as her older sister, Jane, while appearing to have a more strained relationship with her younger sister, Lydia. While it is clear that she cares for her family and friends, she can also be fairly prejudiced and quick to judge people who she perceives as condescending or a threat to her way of life, such as Darcy and, at first, Bing Lee.

William Darcy is a  wealthy heir to an entertainment corporation called Pemberly Digital.  He is described by Lizzie as a snobby and condescending robot. Darcy surprises Lizzie by confessing his love for her when she is visiting Charlotte. For a long time, Darcy was referred to but never seen and was often impersonated by Lizzie and Jane. They always ompersonated him with bow tie and talked like a robot. He made his first appearance in episode 59, where he was only seen from the neck down, until his face was revealed in episode 60, and he is capital HOT. Hot I tell ya!

So, now this is my current obsession and the episode is up to 94, where Lydia has reveal that it is William Darcy that has saved the day and I can't wait for next episode where they could confess love to each other and live happily. I will be missing these vlogs when there have end, but I will always have Youtube to re-watch the videos.

Here are some of my favourite episodes:

         First time we see Mr. Darcy


Meet Gigi and her awesome plan

Mr. Darcy looks hot in this episode

My heart melts....

I really hope I can find my own Mr. Darcy soon.......






2 comments:

Raz said...

i pening baca buku2 english lama sbb byk words x faham.. hehe

saerah80 said...

Samala, kadang-kadang skip atau check dictionary...dulu suka jugak baca buku Judith McNaught...hehe

Chasing Aurora Birthday Trip: Finland, Sweden + Norway

Salam semua.... How you all have been doing so far? I hope you guys are in the good health and bless with your families and friends. Yap...m...